To see our full line of OC Defense Sprays, click here.
As of 2016, pepper spray can be legally purchased and carried in some form by anyone over 18 in all 50 states. However, other states do not have requirements about age.
The list below pertains only to restrictions for those 18 or over, and only for purposes of buying and shipping. If your state is not listed, it should be relatively safe to assume that we can most likely sell it to you and ship it to you, but please take note of the following:
Disclaimer: Body Armor Outlet, Inc. provides the information below gathered from several sources free of charge for your convenience. We did our utmost diligence in compiling it and we will continue to update it as we learn of changes to the laws. However, Body Armor Outlet is a private company and not a legal counsel, news source, or traditional information resource of any kind. As such, we bear no responsibility for the information below and we urge you to exert due caution in complying with federal, state, and local laws by checking whatever reliable statutes are available to you.
- Alaska: Legal, though shipping problems may make this unfeasible. BAO may at some point decide that we can't ship to Alaska.
- Arkansas: Legal, but with a 150ml (just over 5 ounces) size restriction.
- California: Container holding the defense spray must contain no more than 2.5 ounces (71 g) net weight of aerosol spray.
- Florida: Legal, but with a 2 ounce size restriction.
- Hawaii: Legal, but with a ½ ounce size restriction. Sale limited to Hawaii licensed retailers only. Even if that weren't the case, shipping OC to Hawaii is prohibitively difficult and expensive.
- Illinois: Legal everywhere except Chicago.
Massachusetts: Before July 1, 2015, residents could purchase defense sprays only from licensed Firearms Dealers, and had to have held a valid Firearms Identification Card (FID) or License to Carry Firearms (LTC) to purchase or to possess outside of one's own private property. New legislation allows residents to purchase pepper spray without a Firearms Identification Card since that date.
It is illegal to ship OC products to any location in Massachusetts.
- Michigan: Legal, but with a 1.2 ounce size restriction. Allows spray containing not more than 10% oleoresin capsicum.
- Nevada: Legal, but with a 2 ounce size restriction.
- New York: OC spray products must be purchased in person (i.e., cannot be purchased by mail-order or internet sale) either at a pharmacy or from a licensed firearm retailer (NY Penal Law 265.20 14 (a)), and the seller must keep a record of purchases.
- New Jersey: Legal, but with a ¾ of an ounce size restriction. NJ is another problematic state with laws that may make BAO eventually decide that we can't ship there.
- North Carolina: Legal, but with a 150ml (just over 5 ounces) size restriction.
- South Carolina: Legal, but with a 50ml (just over 1⅔ ounces) size restriction.
- Washington: Persons over 18 may carry personal-protection spray devices; persons over age 14 may carry personal-protection spray devices with their legal guardian's consent.
- Washington DC: Legal, but OC spray owners must register their canisters with the police.
Wisconsin: By regulation, OC products have the following restrictions:
- The OC spray must have a maximum OC concentration of 10%
- The weight range of oleoresin of capsicum and inert ingredients of 15-60 grams are authorized. These are between ½ oz. and 2 oz. (14 and 57 g) sizes of spray.
- The product cannot be camouflaged
- It must have a safety feature designed to prevent accidental discharge.
- The units may not have an effective range of over 20 feet and must have an effective range of at least 6 feet.
- In addition, there are certain labeling and packaging requirements; it must state that it cannot be sold to anyone under 18 and the phone number of the manufacturer has to be on the label.
- Lastly, packaging requirements: The units must be sold in sealed tamper-proof packages.
States and cities listed in red cannot be shipped to by Body Armor Outlet or any other retailer outside of those areas, nor can we ship them internationally or anywhere by air.
Some of the information on this page came from here, although many other sources were researched as well.